Sunday, December 11, 2011

Grub Run.

 It was a cold, foggy Thanksgiving morning,

 and we were up and on the road early enough to see the sunrise.

What could get us out of the house at that hour on a holiday? A 5K, of course!

OK, so we're not really seasoned 5K runners, but since May when I started using the Couch to 5K app on my phone, I've been looking forward to running an actual race. This one was appealing because it benefits the Tarrant Area Food Bank, it didn't have a steep entry fee, and it was held inside Texas Motor Speedway. Win-win-win!

 It was awesome to see the many bags of canned goods collected. The entry fee was $5 and five cans of food per person.

 It was also a treat to see the speedway again. What a massive oval it is!

 Even though we're not NASCAR fans, it's still fun to see some of the cars on display.

 What made this event special was running into all kinds of people: friends from church and school, longtime family friends, etc.

 I'm so thankful that Brett and Katie were willing to go along for the run.



By the way, Katie's grown a bit since our last visit to the Speedway in 2007:
(Aren't they adorable? Ryan was almost 11 and Katie was 9.)

Ready to run!
 Some people are always ministering, never taking a day off!




Thanks for sharing your photos with us, SP!
 We had a pretty good crew of HCC runners there!

Thanks for this one, too!
Full disclosure: Brett and Katie ran both laps and ended up with great times for their first 5Ks. I, however, ran for 10 minutes, walked for 2, ran for 10, etc. It took me a whopping 41 minutes to finish both laps of the speedway oval. But hey! I finished! I'm excited to finish my next 5K with a faster pace, and all three of us are looking forward to Grub Run 2012.

No comments: