Sunday, December 16, 2007

Sopapilla cheesecake.

Consider this my Christmas gift to you! I have emailed and written down this recipe more times than I can count, so it needs an online home. Presenting...


SOPAPILLA CHEESECAKE
as featured at countless tailgates, English Department lunches,
small group dinners and other assorted gatherings

2 pkgs. crescent rolls (I prefer the regular Pillsbury kind--not the Grands version)
2 pkgs. cream cheese
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 stick butter
cinnamon sugar (I cheat and use the pre-mixed)

Spray a 9x13 pan with Pam. Unroll one package of crescent rolls across the bottom of the pan and pinch the seams together.

Blend the softened cream cheese and sugar on low speed. Add vanilla.

Spread cream cheese mixture on the crescent roll dough in the pan and top with the second package of unrolled dough.

Melt the 1/2 stick of butter and pour across the top. Generously sprinkle the cinnamon sugar across the top.

Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees.

When cool, refrigerate overnight.

Carbs: Eleventy billion. Weight Watcher points: Infinity.

A little history: I first tasted sopapilla cheesecake at HCC, back when Sharon C. was cooking dinner there on Wednesday nights. I loved the dessert, and when I needed a good treat to take to a Tex-Mex meal, I Googled the recipe. I'm sure this isn't quite what Sharon made (also delicious), but it's SO easy and really good. It's almost a joke now because anytime we take it somewhere new, someone ALWAYS asks for the recipe.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Got It!
We are going to make this for our California Family for our Cowboy Christmas this year :)

Anonymous said...

GREAT NEWS! Pillsbury finally got a clue and now they sell "Recipe Creations" crescents. They are just the sheets of crescent dough so there is no pinching necessary! BTW my sopapilla cheesecake will be ready in 22 minutes! :o)