Sunday, September 20, 2009

Au revoir, Monsieur Turkey.

For years the Turkey Shop has been a landmark along I-35.

Alas, the Turkey Shop is no more. As we drove through Abbott on our way to the first football game, we were stunned to see the giant gobbler sign replaced with one for an Up N Smoke BBQ. On the way home from this football weekend, I just had to pull over to see what was left of that turkey that was part of so many trips to and from Austin!

Seeing the old bird lying on his side, discarded behind the restaurant, made me sad! I never even ate at the place (which may explain why it went out of business), but for years I marked my driving progress (and acknowledged the town where Willie Nelson was born) as soon as that turkey came into view.
I'm not sure which is sadder: the sight of these relics, or the fact that I pulled over to pay my respects to a giant turkey!

No comments: